Colonel Jeremy L. Schaad is the Vice Commander, 153d Airlift Wing, Wyoming Air National Guard. The 153 AW is equipped with eight C-130H3 aircraft and consists of more than 1290 personnel across 20 squadrons. The Wing supports state and national interests throughout peacetime and combat airlift missions throughout the world and includes aerial firefighting, aeromedical evacuation, command and control, and air traffic control special missions.
A native son to Wyoming, Col Schaad joined the Air National Guard in 1998 and received his pilot wings at Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi, Texas in 2002. Trained early in Aviation Safety, he served as his unit’s Aviation Safety Officer before rising through the ranks to become a C-130H Instructor and Evaluator Pilot. Deploying numerous times to the Middle East throughout his career, Col Schaad leveraged that experience to serve as a deployed C-130 Squadron Commander in 2014 and most recently as Director of Mobility Forces (DIRMOBFOR) serving as the Combined Forces Air Component Commander’s (CFACC) senior mobility advisor during the 2021 withdrawal of Afghanistan and non-combatant evacuation of Kabul, Afghanistan.
Col Schaad is a combat veteran Command Pilot with over 4500 flying hours, including over 500 combat hours. He has flown in support of Operations JOINT FORGE, JOINT ENTERPRISE, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, INHERENT RESOLVE, RESOLUTE SUPPORT, and SPARTAN SHIELD. Prior to his current assignment, Col Schaad served as Commander of the 153d Operations Group. In his civilian capacity, Colonel Schaad is a First Officer for a major global airline assigned to Denver, Colorado.
1998 Bachelor of Arts, Criminal Justice & Wildlife Management, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyo.
2004 U.S. Air Force Accident Mishap Investigation Couse (AMIC), Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, N.M.
2009 National Aerial Fire-Fighting Academy, U.S. Forest Service, Tucson, AZ.
2009 Squadron Officer School; Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (non-res)
2010 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Little Rock AFB, AR and Nellis AFB, NV.
2011 Air National Guard Intermediate Development Course, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Knoxville, TN.
2013 Advanced National Aerial Fire-Fighting Academy, U.S. Forest Service, McLellan Airfield, CA.
2014 Air Command and Staff College; Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (non-res)
2017 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course, Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, N.M.
2018 Air War College; Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (non-res)
2019 Air National Guard Commander’s Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, MD.
2020 Director of Mobility Forces Course; USAF Expeditionary School, Hurlburt Field, Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.
2020 Master of Arts, Military Operational Arts & Science in Joint Warfare; Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2022 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
1. May 1998 – August 2001, Security Forces Specialist, 153d Security Forces Squadron, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
2. August 2001 – February 2002, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, TX.
3. February 2002 – September 2002, Student, Advanced Instrument Pilot Training, Corpus Christi NAS, TX.
4. September 2002 – April 2003, Student, C-130 Initial Qualification, Little Rock AFB, AR.
5. April 2003 – June 2004, C-130H3 Pilot, 187th Airlift Squadron, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
6. June 2004 – April 2006, C-130H3 Pilot, Squadron Safety Officer, 187th Airlift Squadron, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
7. April 2006 – April 2008, Chief of Aircrew Scheduling, 187th Airlift Squadron, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
8. April 2008 – January 2010, Chief of Weapons & Tactics, 153d Operational Support Sq, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
9. January 2010 – June 2010, Student, 29th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. June 2010 – June 2011, Chief of Weapons &Tactics, 153d Operational Support Sq, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
(Sep 2010 – Nov 2010, Chief of Weapons & Tactics, 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Bagram AB, Afghanistan)
11. June 2011 – June 2013, Director of Operations, 187th Airlift Squadron, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
12. June 2013 – May 2014, Chief of Wing Executive Services, 153d Airlift Wing, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
13. May 2014 – May 2016, Commander, 187th Airlift Squadron, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
(Oct 2014 – Mar 2015, Commander, 746th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
14. May 2016 – September 2018, Deputy Commander, 153d Operations Group, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
(Dec 2017 – Mar 2018, Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, 386th Expeditionary Operations Group, Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait)
15. September 2018 – November 2021, Commander, 153d Operations Group, WY ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
(Apr 2021 – Sep 2021, Director of Mobility Forces, US Air Force Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
16. November 2021 – Present, Vice Commander, 153d Airlift Wing, Wyoming ANG, Cheyenne, Wyo.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: Over 4,500
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-44, C-130E, H, H2, H2.5, H3, H3/NP2000, H3/NP2000-3.5, A319, A320
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor device and one oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Iraq Campaign Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border, two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hour glass
Small Arms Expert Marksman Ribbon with one bronze star
Air Force Training Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Medal (Afghanistan)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman First Class, May 14, 1998
Senior Airman, October 1, 1999
Second Lieutenant, June 22, 2001
First Lieutenant, June 22, 2003
Captain, June 22, 2005
Major, January 8, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel, February 6, 2014
Colonel, July 31, 2019
(CURRENT AS OF JAN 2022)