Col Barry F. Deibert is the Commander of the 153d Airlift Wing at the Wyoming Air National Guard Base Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Col Deibert earned his pilot wings in March 1993, assigned as a copilot with the 187th Airlift Squadron flying the units C-130B and C-130H3 model aircraft. As a copilot, he performed additional duties in squadron tactics, served as the supervisor of flying, and performed drop zone officer duties. He attended aircraft commander school in 1997, and after attending Maintenance Officer School at Sheppard AFB, TX. in 1998, he became the Quality Assurance Pilot and the Functional Check Flight program manager for the 153d Maintenance Group. In 2005 he became the 153d Operations Group standards and evaluations pilot. In 2007, he assumed command of the 153d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, and in 2008 assumed command of the 153d Maintenance Squadron until his retirement in October 2010. During these years he deployed several times in support of Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq, for Operations Joint Enterprise, Shinning Hope, Enduring, and Iraqi Freedom, as both a pilot and a maintenance officer, plus numerous Modular Airborne Fire Fighting missions to include the international Indonesia Firefighting operations in 1997. Additionally, he was the 187th Airlift Squadron Training Officer, 187th Airlift Squadron Director of Operations, as well as the 153d Wing Plans Officer during a two-year tour as a technician with the Wyoming Air National Guard. In March 2016, Col Deibert returned to service to assume the duties as the 153d Airlift Wing Plans Officer. In July 2018 he became the 153d Maintenance Group Commander a position he held until assuming this command.
Prior to becoming an officer, Col Deibert began his military career in 1986 as an enlisted Avionics Systems Specialists assigned to the 153d Consolidated Maintenance Squadron, Wyoming Air National Guard. During this time, he was awarded the Wyoming National Guard Outstanding service ribbon for obtaining the Honor Graduate award for his initial technical school. When not on duty Col Deibert is a First Officer with American Airlines.
1991 Bachelor of Science degree in Wildlife and Fisheries Management, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
1999 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2005 Secondary Science Education – Post Baccalaureate Program, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
Endorsements: Biology, Chemistry & Physical Science
2017 Air War College, by correspondence
1. October 1986 – January 1992: Enlisted Avionics Systems Specialists, 153d Consolidated Maintenance Group, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
2. January 1992 – February 1992: Academy of Military Science, Knoxville, TN.
3. February 1992 – March 1993 – Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, OK.
4. March 1993 - September 1993 – C-130 Copilot Training, Little Rock AFB, AR.
5. September 1993 – April 1996: 187th Tactical Airlift Squadron Copilot, 153d Airlift Wing. Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
6. April 1996-September 1996: Aircraft Commander Training, Little Rock AFB AR.
7. April 1996 – March 2005: Quality Assurance Pilot Officer, 153d Maintenance Group, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
8. August 1998 – September 1998: Instructor Pilot Training, Little Rock AFB AR.
9. September 1998 – October 2010: Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, 187th Airlift Squadron, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
10. April 2005 – April 2007: 153d Operations Group Standards & Evaluations Pilot, 153d Airlift Wing, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
11. April 2007 – July 2008: 153d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Commander, 153d Maintenance Group, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
12. July 2008 – October 2010: 153d Maintenance Squadron Commander, 153d Maintenance Group, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
13. October 2010 – March 2016: Retired from Service
14. March 2016 – July 2018: 153d Wing Plans Officer Pilot, 153d Airlift Wing, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
15. July 2018 –July 2020: 153d Maintenance Group Commander, 153d Airlift Wing, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
16. July 2020-Present: 153d Airlift Wing Commander, Cheyenne ANG Base, WY.
Rating: Command Pilot
Total Hours: > 3900
Combat Hours: 320
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, C-130B, C-130E, C-130H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal w/ 1 device
Air Medal w/ 3 devices
Aerial Achievement Medal w/ 7 devices
Air Force Commendation Medal w/ 1 device
Air Force Achievement Medal
Kosovo Campaign medal
Iraq Campaign Medal w/ 1 device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
1987 Honor Graduate, Avionics Systems Specialists School, Chanute AFB IL.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Colonel – March 2019
Lieutenant Colonel – August 2007
Major – Aug 2000
Captain - July 1996
1st Lieutenant - April 1994
2nd Lieutenant – February 1992
Staff Sergeant – September 1990
Sergeant – September 1989
Senior Airman – October 1988
Airman First Class – September 1987
Enlistment – October 1986