Colonel Justin R. Walrath is the Commander, 153d Airlift Wing,
Wyoming Air National Guard. The 153d Airlift Wing supports the
State of Wyoming, the Air National Guard and the United States Air
Force. The Wing is equipped with eight C-130H aircraft and consists
of more than 1,200 personnel across 12 squadrons. The 153rd
supports state and national interests through peacetime and combat
airlift missions throughout the world. The Wing also has capabilities
for aerial firefighting (Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System), an
aeromedical evacuation unit, a command and control mission and
an air traffic control unit.
Colonel Walrath served 10 years on active duty. He began his
career as an Aircraft Maintenance Officer on KC-135s and B-1s at
Ellsworth AFB, S.D. During this time, he served as a Sortie Support
Officer and as a Sortie Production Officer of a 300 person
maintenance unit. He then served in Grand Forks AFB, N.D. as a
KC-135 Stratotanker Pilot. During his time at Grand Forks AFB, he
served as a Resource Advisor, Standardization and Evaluation Co-
Pilot, Chief of Scheduling and Special Operations Pilot. Colonel
Walrath Joined the Wyoming Air National Guard in 2000. He was
awarded Distinguished Graduate from the C-130 schoolhouse in
Little Rock AFB, Ark. He has served as the Group Tactics Officer,
Assistant Flight Commander, Flight Commander, 187th Airlift
Squadron Commander and 153d Operations Group Commander.
Colonel Walrath has served nine combat deployments and has more than 1,000 combat hours in support of Allied Force
(Kosovo), Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Political Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Master of Science, Aeronautical Science Technology, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. October 1991 - October 1992, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Del Rio, Texas
2. November 1992 - June 1994, Chief, Support Flight 28th Maintenance Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
3. July 1993 - November 1993, Student, Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions course, Shepherd AFB, Texas
4. June 1994 - May 1995, Officer in Charge of Sortie Production, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
5. May 1995 - November 1997, KC-135 Pilot, 912th Air Refueling Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
6. November 1997 - November 1998, Standardization/Evaluation Pilot, 912th Air Refueling Squadron,Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
7. November 1998 - November 2000, Chief of Squadron Scheduling, 912th Air Refueling Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
8. November 2000 - June 2011, C-130 Tactics Officer, Assistant Flight Commander, Flight Commander,187th Airlift
Squadron, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne, Wyo.
9. June 2011 - May 2014, Commander, 187th Airlift Squadron, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne, Wyo.
10. May 2014 – November 2017, Commander, 153d Operations Group, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne, Wyo.
11. November 2017 – Present, Commander, 153d Airlift Wing, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne, Wyo.
Rating: evaluator pilot, MAFFS instructor pilot
Flight Hours: more than 4,700
Aircraft flown: C-130, KC-135, T-1, T-38, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major May 29, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel May 29, 2009
Colonel April 10, 2014
(Current as of January 2018)