Colonel David W. "Sheep" Herder is the Vice Commander, 153d Airlift
Wing, Wyoming Air National Guard. The 153d Airlift Wing supports the
State of Wyoming, the Air National Guard and the United States Air
Force. The Wing is equipped with eight C-130H aircraft and consists of
more than 1,200 personnel across 20 squadrons. The 153d supports
state and national interests through peacetime and combat airlift
missions throughout the world. The Wing also has capabilities for aerial
firefighting (Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System), an aeromedical
evacuation unit, a command and control mission and an air traffic
Colonel Herder entered the Air Force in September 1986 and began his
career as a Navigator/Instructor on the KC-135R Stratotanker at Grand
Forks AFB, N.D. He served seven years on Active Duty which included
three combat deployments in support of operations Just Cause, Desert
Shield and Desert Storm and performed alert duties supporting the
Single Integrated Operations Plan.
Colonel Herder joined the Wyoming Air National Guard in 1993 as a
C-130B, E, and H model Tactical Navigator/Instructor. He has been the
Group Tactics Officer, Assistant Flight Commander, Flight Commander,
the 153d Operations Support Flight Commander, and the Deputy
Garrison Commander at Camp Guernsey Army Training Site. Prior to
assuming his current position, the colonel most recently served as the
153d Maintenance Group Deputy Commander.
A master navigator, he has more than 4,300 flight hours, with 598 combat and combat support hours flown while deployed to
operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
1986 Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyo.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. September 1986 - February 1988, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. February 1988 - January 1993, KC-135 Navigator/Instructor 905th Air Refueling Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
3. January 1993 - May 2010, C-130 Navigator/Instructor, Tactics Officer, Assistant Flight Commander, Flight Commander, 187th
Airlift Squadron, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne, Wyo.
4. January 2007 - December 2013, Deputy Garrison Commander, Camp Guernsey Training Site, Camp Guernsey, Wyo.
5. May 2010 - July 2012, Commander, 153d Operations Support Flight, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne, Wyo.
6. December 2013 - December 2015, Inspector General, 153d Airlift Wing, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne, Wyo.
7. January 2015 - December 2015, Deputy Commander, 153d Maintenance Group, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne,
8. December 2015 - present, Vice Wing Commander, 153d Airlift Wing, Wyoming Air National Guard, Cheyenne, Wyo.
Rating: master navigator
Flight Hours: more than 4,300, including 598 combat and combat support hours
Aircraft flown: KC-135, C-130
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device
Combat Readiness Medal with ten oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with two bronze service stars
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze service star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze service star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze service star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 18, 1986
First Lieutenant July 18, 1988
Captain July 18, 1990
Major Dec. 6, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 6, 2004
Colonel Dec. 16, 2015
(Current as of April 2017)